Virginia Commonwealth University
Student Scholarship Opportunities
The Pharmacy Compounding Foundation provides three scholarship opportunities for current pharmacy students:
- Foundation and Pharmacists Mutual Compounding Scholarship
- Foundation Fund-the-Future
- Foundation Student Writing Competition
Pharmacy Compounding Foundation and Pharmacists Mutual 2023 Compounding Scholarship
Through the generosity of the Pharmacists Mutual Insurance Company, the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation will award up to two (2) $2,500 scholarships in 2023 to pharmacy students who have demonstrated commitment to a career in compounding pharmacy in the United States. The Pharmacy Compounding Foundation and Pharmacists Mutual Compounding Scholarship is a scholarship program sponsored by Pharmacists Mutual Insurance Company and the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation.
Up to two (2) $2,500 scholarships in 2023.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply for the 2023 Pharmacy Compounding Foundation and Pharmacists Mutual Compounding Scholarship student pharmacist applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited school or college of pharmacy in the United States.
- Be a P3 or P4 pharmacy student in the 2022 – 2023 academic year.
- Have worked in or have completed a rotation in a compounding pharmacy.
- Also plan to practice in the following:
- an independent, or small chain compounding pharmacy in urban or underserved geographic area or
- hospital pharmacy or
- homecare pharmacy or
- in the armed forces of the United States.
- Be in good academic standing, earning a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent grading system) in professional coursework during pharmacy school.
- Be in good standing with the college. Students with disciplinary action are not eligible.
- Complete the electronic scholarship application prior to the posted deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered for the scholarship.
- May not be a previous Pharmacist Mutual Scholarship recipient. This includes scholarships funded by Pharmacists Mutual itself and those Pharmacist Mutual Student Scholarships awarded by other organizations.
When can pharmacy students apply?
Completed applications for the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation and Pharmacists Mutual Compounding Scholarship must be submitted no later than November 24, 2022, 11:59 pm Eastern. The Pharmacy Compounding Foundation will review all complete applications and select up to two (2) pharmacy students as scholarship recipients. All decisions of the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation are final.
How do pharmacy students apply?
Apply HERE. (Applications accepted starting October 14, 2022)
Interested student pharmacist applicants must submit via the form at the link above:
- the electronic application
- college transcript
- letter of recommendation from a faculty member, advisor, or employer
- an essay describing the applicant’s interest in practicing compounding in an independent or small chain compounding pharmacy in urban or, an underserved geographic area, or hospital pharmacy, or homecare pharmacy, or in the armed forces of the United States. The essay should describe steps the applicant has taken to prepare for the chosen practice setting.
- headshot of student in white coat (.png, .jpg, .jpeg)
How will I know if I will receive a scholarship?
Students who have applied will be notified of the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation’s decision by early January 2023.
When will the scholarship be awarded?
The scholarship will be awarded virtually during APC EduCon 2023 Virtual February 9-10, 2023.
Recipients will also be highlighted on the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation’s website, newsletter, and social media.
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Presbyterian College School of Pharmacy
PharmD Candidate 2021Southwestern Oklahoma State University
PharmD Candidate 2020Farleigh Dickinson University
Florham Park, NJ
Foundation Fund-the-Future Program
The foundation’s Fund-the-Future program awards grants to pharmacy students.
March 1, 2022: We’re updating the program for 2022 and beyond — watch this space or look for an email from APC (or in the weekly Compounding Connections) for more information.
Previous Fund-the-Future Winners
2020 and 2021: Due to Covid-19, the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation did not award any Fund-the-Future scholarships for 2020 or 2021.
2019 Compounders on Capitol Hill
Jacklyn Altman; University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy, Columbia, SC
Meredith Kelderhouse; University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy, Columbia, SC
Omar Fuentes; The University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy, Austin, TX
Elio Magero; Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY
Foundation Student Writing Competition
The foundation’s semi-annual Student Writing Competition to recognize outstanding original papers by student pharmacists on a particular topic affecting pharmacy compounding. Up to two winners will be selected by a review committee from the papers submitted. The winners of this writing competition will each receive a $1,000 cash prize. All student pharmacists are encouraged to compete.
The Pharmacy Compounding Foundation is no longer awarding any Student Writing Competition scholarships.
Previous Student Writing Competition Winners
Theme: “With the increase in healthcare costs and reduced rate of insurance reimbursements, how do compounding pharmacies remain competitive?”
Alexandra Gochenauer; University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS
Ryan Waldschmidt; Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH