The Pharmacy Compounding Foundation
Student Scholarship Opportunities
The Pharmacy Compounding Foundation provides three scholarship opportunities for current pharmacy students:
Foundation Fund-the-Future Program
The foundation’s Fund-the-Future program awards grants to pharmacy students to attend APC's Compounders on Capitol Hill (CCH) and EduCon events.
2020 and 2021: Due to Covid-19, the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation will not be awarding any Fund-the-Future scholarships for 2020 or 2021.
Available for 2022: Two travel grants up to $2,025 each!
Grants cover the following expenses:
- One full registration to attend the event
- Up to three (3) nights of hotel accommodations depending on the conference
- $900 to cover travel expenses for airfare, transportation, parking & meals not covered by registration
Applying for a Fund-the-Future grant
Applications for the 2022 Fund-the-Future grant will be available in fall/winter 2021.
The foundation will review all complete applications and select up to two pharmacy students to receive a travel grant. The decisions of the foundation are final.
All applicants must:
- Completely fill out the application.
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college of pharmacy.
- Be able to attend all scheduled activities, including the keynote, CE programs, exhibitor experiences, and both board meetings.
- Submit a letter of support.
Previous Fund-the-Future Winners
2019 Compounders on Capitol Hill
Jacklyn Altman; University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy, Columbia, SC
Meredith Kelderhouse; University of South Carolina College of Pharmacy, Columbia, SC
Omar Fuentes; The University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy, Austin, TX
Elio Magero; Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Albany, NY
Read what former recipients have to say about the Fund the Future scholarship experience.
Foundation Student Writing Competition
The foundation's semi-annual Student Writing Competition to recognize outstanding original papers by student pharmacists on a particular topic affecting pharmacy compounding. Up to two winners will be selected by a review committee from the papers submitted. The winners of this writing competition will each receive a $1,000 cash prize. All student pharmacists are encouraged to compete.
2020 and 2021: Due to Covid-19, the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation will not be awarding any Student Writing Competition scholarships for 2020 or 2021.
Previous Student Writing Competition Winners
Theme: "With the increase in healthcare costs and reduced rate of insurance reimbursements, how do compounding pharmacies remain competitive?"
Alexandra Gochenauer; University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS
Ryan Waldschmidt; Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH
Pharmacy Compounding Foundation And Pharmacists Mutual Compounding Scholarship
Through the generosity of the Pharmacists Mutual Insurance Company, the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation will award up to two $2,500 scholarships in 2021 to pharmacy students who have demonstrated commitment to a career in compounding pharmacy in the United States.
Up to two $2,500 scholarships in 2021.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply for the 2021 Pharmacy Compounding Foundation and Pharmacists Mutual Compounding Scholarship, student pharmacist applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be currently enrolled in an accredited school or college of pharmacy in the United States;
- be a P3 or P4 pharmacy student in the 2020 - 2021 academic year;
- have worked in or have completed a rotation in a compounding pharmacy;
- be in good academic standing, earning a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent grading system) in professional coursework during pharmacy school;
- be in good standing with the college; students with disciplinary action are not eligible;
- complete the electronic scholarship application prior to the posted deadline; incomplete or late applications will not be considered for the scholarship;
- not be a previous Pharmacist Mutual Scholarship recipient; this includes scholarships funded by Pharmacists Mutual itself and those Pharmacist Mutual Student Scholarships awarded by other organizations.
Also plan to practice in the following:
- an independent, or small chain compounding pharmacy in an underserved geographic area; or
- a hospital pharmacy or homecare pharmacy; or
- in the armed forces of the United States.
Applying for the scholarship
The application for 2021 scholarships may be found HERE. The deadline to apply is January 8, 2021.
Interested student pharmacist applicants must submit the following to be considered for the scholarship:
- the electronic application;
- their latest college transcript;
- a letter of recommendation from a faculty member or advisor;
- an essay describing the applicant’s interest in practicing compounding in an independent or small chain compounding pharmacy in urban or, an underserved geographic area, or hospital pharmacy, or homecare pharmacy, or in the armed forces of the United States — the essay should describe steps the applicant has taken to prepare for the chosen practice setting.
The Pharmacy Compounding Foundation will review all complete applications and select up to two (2) pharmacy students as scholarship recipients. All decisions of the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation are final.
When will the scholarship be awarded?
Students who have applied will be notified of the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation’s decision by early 2021.
The scholarship will be presented during the award ceremony of APC's Virtual EduCon 2020: Best Practices in Compounding on February 4-5, 2021. Recipients will also be highlighted on the Pharmacy Compounding Foundation’s website, newsletter, and social media.
PharmD Candidate 2021
Southwestern Oklahoma State University
PharmD Candidate 2020
Farleigh Dickinson University
Florham Park, NJ